Helping Christians to make a difference
Dealing with current Issues
Helping Christian families to make a difference
The American College of Pediatricians has released an EXCELLENT POSITION STATEMENT about the HARM being done to children by those who proclaim that ‘gender is how you feel’ and who suggest to them that a boy can ‘become’ a girl or a girl can ‘become’ a boy, especially by taking puberty blockers or hormones and having sex re-assignment surgery.
Point 5 states, "5. According to the DSM-V, as many as 98% of gender confused boys and 88% of gender confused girls eventually accept their biological sex after naturally passing through puberty."
Point 7 highlights the real facts about the high suicide risk in transgender adults who take hormones and have ‘re-assignment surgery’.
“What compassionate and reasonable person would condemn young children to this fate knowing that after puberty as many as 88% of girls and 98% of boys will eventually accept reality and achieve a state of mental and physical health?”
THE STATEMENT is in FULL below – please read it before reading the linked articles by Paul McHugh and Bill Muehlenberg.
The Position Statement is full of facts and figures and corrects many of the misconceptions being talked about in recent weeks…
Of course, this sort of ‘gender theory’ is what is being taught by the so-called Safe Schools Coalition – the ‘Gender Identity’ handout in the Yr 7 ‘All Of Us’ curriculum says that gender is ‘How you feel’. (See Guide to All Of Us, P 34)
Children as young as FIVE are being assisted in ‘transitioning from one gender to the other, right here in Victoria, with the HELP of the Safe Schools Coalition – and the HELP of the Gender Service at the Royal Children’s Hospital.
The Gender Fairy
One mother, Jo Hirst, whose child ‘transitioned’ in PREP, has written a book called ‘The Gender Fairy’ to teach children in Prep all about it – the ‘Gender Fairy’ is ‘non-binary’ in gender, and is speaking to TWO ‘transgender children’! The Director of the RCH Gender Service, Dr Michelle Telfer, wrote the foreword.
And here’s that connection again – “It includes notes for parents and teachers to aid discussion and learning, completed in collaboration with Roz Ward”…
Roz Ward is the Victorian co-ordinator, and the ‘founder’, of the Safe Schools Coalition, who spoke to the Marxism Conference in Melbourne in 2015. The Safe Schools Coalition promotes and recommends the book, saying it should be in SCHOOL LIBRARIES to make them “LGBTI inclusive”!
- See The Gender Fairy book website – click here.
- Read an article about the mother who wrote the book – click here.
- Read the All Of Us Yr 7 Curriculum guide produced by the Safe Schools Coalition – click here. [The Gender Identity handout is on Page 34.]
Paul McHugh speaks from experience…
One of the authors of the statement from the American College of Pediatricians is Dr Paul McHugh, University Distinguished Service Professor of Psychiatry at Johns Hopkins Medical School and the former psychiatrist in chief at Johns Hopkins Hospital.
Paul McHugh was at the hospital when they were the FIRST hospital to do sex-reassignment surgery for transsexuals. He was ALSO there when the hospital STOPPED doing the operations because they realised the harm being done to people.
Paul has written about the situation..
He begins, “The idea that one’s sex is a feeling, not a fact, has permeated our culture and is leaving casualties in its wake. Gender dysphoria should be treated with psychotherapy, not surgery….”
Article: Johns Hopkins Psychiatrist: It Is Starkly, Nakedly False That Sex Change Is Possible, CNS, 17/6/2015.
Bill Muehlenberg wrote an article about the recent Statement by the American College of Pediatricians: Gender Benders Harming our Children
Please read the FULL statement by the American College of Pediatricians FIRST…
The American College of Pediatricians urges educators and legislators to reject all policies that condition children to accept as normal a life of chemical and surgical impersonation of the opposite sex. Facts – not ideology – determine reality.
1. Human sexuality is an objective biological binary trait: “XY” and “XX” are genetic markers of health – not genetic markers of a disorder. The norm for human design is to be conceived either male or female. Human sexuality is binary by design with the obvious purpose being the reproduction and flourishing of our species. This principle is self-evident. The exceedingly rare disorders of sexual differentiation (DSDs), including but not limited to testicular feminization and congenital adrenal hyperplasia, are all medically identifiable deviations from the sexual binary norm, and are rightly recognized as disorders of human design. Individuals with DSDs do not constitute a third sex.
2. No one is born with a gender. Everyone is born with a biological sex. Gender (an awareness and sense of oneself as male or female) is a sociological and psychological concept; not an objective biological one. No one is born with an awareness of themselves as male or female; this awareness develops over time and, like all developmental processes, may be derailed by a child’s subjective perceptions, relationships, and adverse experiences from infancy forward. People who identify as “feeling like the opposite sex” or “somewhere in between” do not comprise a third sex. They remain biological men or biological women.
3. A person’s belief that he or she is something they are not is, at best, a sign of confused thinking. When an otherwise healthy biological boy believes he is a girl, or an otherwise healthy biological girl believes she is a boy, an objective psychological problem exists that lies in the mind not the body, and it should be treated as such. These children suffer from gender dysphoria. Gender dysphoria (GD), formerly listed as Gender Identity Disorder (GID), is a recognized mental disorder in the most recent edition of the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of the American Psychiatric Association (DSM-V). The psychodynamic and social learning theories of GD/GID have never been disproved.
4. Puberty is not a disease and puberty-blocking hormones can be dangerous. Reversible or not, puberty- blocking hormones induce a state of disease – the absence of puberty – and inhibit growth and fertility in a previously biologically healthy child.
5. According to the DSM-V, as many as 98% of gender confused boys and 88% of gender confused girls eventually accept their biological sex after naturally passing through puberty.
6. Children who use puberty blockers to impersonate the opposite sex will require cross-sex hormones in late adolescence. Cross-sex hormones are associated with dangerous health risks including but not limited to high blood pressure, blood clots, stroke and cancer.
7. Rates of suicide are twenty times greater among adults who use cross-sex hormones and undergo sex reassignment surgery, even in Sweden which is among the most LGBQT – affirming countries. What compassionate and reasonable person would condemn young children to this fate knowing that after puberty as many as 88% of girls and 98% of boys will eventually accept reality and achieve a state of mental and physical health?
8. Conditioning children into believing a lifetime of chemical and surgical impersonation of the opposite sex is normal and healthful is child abuse. Endorsing gender discordance as normal via public education and legal policies will confuse children and parents, leading more children to present to “gender clinics” where they will be given puberty-blocking drugs. This, in turn, virtually ensures that they will “choose” a lifetime of carcinogenic and otherwise toxic cross-sex hormones, and likely consider unnecessary surgical mutilation of their healthy body parts as young adults.
Michelle A. Cretella, M.D.
President of the American College of Pediatricians
Quentin Van Meter, M.D.
Vice President of the American College of Pediatricians
Paul McHugh, M.D.
University Distinguished Service Professor of Psychiatry at Johns Hopkins Medical School and the former psychiatrist in chief at Johns Hopkins Hospital
14 March 2016
We’ve been hearing a lot about ‘Safe Schools’ –unfortunately, much of it has been focused on the very UN-safe Safe Schools Coalition Australia (SSCA) that ONLY deals with LGBTIQ issues.
More and more people are speaking up against SSCA - Rowan Dean has an excellent article about the SSCA today in the Courier Mail, and Andrew Bolt highlights comments made by Paul Kelly of The Australian.
There has been a lot of CONFUSION … There is an OFFICIAL Australian government program… the ‘Safe Schools Hub’ and the ‘National Safe Schools Framework’ (NSSF). Originally written in 2003, the Framework was updated in 2010, and endorsed by all State and Commonwealth Ministers for Education (see here). The NSSF has NO mention of the words ‘gay’, ‘homophobia’ or ‘gender’!
Associated with these is the website Bullying-No Way! (the sub-title is ‘Safe Australian Schools. Together’).
They are holding a ‘National Day of Action Against Bullying and Violence’ THIS FRIDAY, 18 March.
This is something we should support… We are all against bullying of any kind, for any reason… and want our children to learn respect and the right form of ‘tolerance’!
In contrast, the Safe Schools Coalition’s promotion of ‘IDAHOT Day’ and ‘Wear it Purple’ Day focus just on homosexual issues…
Click here for details of the National Day of Action and resources (more detail follows).
That’s the SHORT version…
Now for the details of these programs, and a look at what a REAL SAFE SCHOOL actually looks like…
PS: If you live in Victoria, join us at the rally against the Safe Schools Coalition on Wednesday – Belgrave Town Park, 12.30 pm - full details here.
Key Websites from this section…
The REAL ‘Safe Schools’ program is an official government program. We’ve previously mentioned this OFFICIAL Australian government program based at the ‘Safe Schools Hub’ – with the National Safe Schools Framework, and discussed the confusion that arises with the similar name to the ‘Safe Schools Coalition Australia’ – see here.
But with the controversy over the SSCA, this aspect needs to be HIGHLIGHTED!
With our Prayer Focus last week, we’re catching up on the news from the past couple of weeks.
For the latest news on the Safe Schools Coalition issue, see our separate Update (10/3/2016).
This week there’s news on marriage, the mardi gras, sex ed at kindergarten, LGBTI aged care, medicinal marijuana, funding of Islamic schools and the Royal Commission on child sexual abuse…
Read the News Update:
There was too much to include in our regular News Update – hence a separate UPDATE…
Several weeks ago, Prime Minister Malcolm Turnbull ordered that a review be conducted of the SSCA and the ‘resource material’ published by them. The review is being conducted by Professor Bill Louden from WA and is due to be submitted tomorrow, Friday 11 March. A huge task in a very short time!
One good development - Kyabram P-12 College in country Victoria has decided to NOT join the Safe Schools Coalition Australia.
From the Q&A program on Safe Schools and same-sex ‘marriage’ on 29 Feb to the rallies ‘supporting’ SSCA it has been a hectic time!
The Andrews Labor government in Victoria is making contradictory statements about whether or not it will be ‘mandatory’for state secondary schools to join the SSCA by the end of 2018.
Next week, a RALLY/MEETING will be held in Belgrave and a petition presented to Victorian Education Minister James Merlino. Wed 16 March at 12.30 pm. Please come to the rally if you can – and collect signatures and return petition forms to Australian Christians. Rally & petition details here. I’ll be speaking – so would love to see you there!
Full details follow… at Item 4.
Meanwhile, the LGBTIQ community is busy – having meetings and organising rallies to SUPPORT SSCA! The section ‘The Other Side’ also has articles from people criticising those who are ‘concerned’ and supporting the whole SSCA program J
1. Kyabram P-12 College Council votes to NOT join the Safe Schools Coalition
2. Vic: Andrews government confused – Is it ‘mandatory’ or not?
3. Vic: Matthew Guy calls for SSCA to not be mandatory in all Victorian state secondary schools
4. Vic: Rally and presentation of petition to Education Minister James Merlino – 16 March 2016
7 March 2016
We recently wrote about the Symposium held in Sydney on the subject ‘Pornography and harms to children and young people’.
See our report here.
In that email we mentioned that the Senate is holding an INQUIRY -
“Harm being done to Australian children through access to pornography on the Internet."
They include “trends in the consumption of online pornography by children and their impact on the development of healthy and respectful relationships“.
SUBMISSIONS CLOSE THIS WEEK – THURSDAY 10 MARCH.
Please send a submission to the Inquiry.
They don’t have to long and involved - A personal story of the adverse impact is also very relevant!
Ros Phillips of FamilyVoice encourages us ALL to send in a short submission – and has provided some points to include… (please use your own words)
We praise God for the “Porn Harms Kids” symposium on 9 February. It was the largest of its kind in Australia, and gained widespread media coverage of the growing mental health crisis faced by Aussie children exposed to online pornography.
But now we need to persuade the federal government to take action. A Senate committee is currently calling for public submissions on “Harm being done to Australian children through access to pornography on the Internet”. The closing date for submissions is 10 March – just three days away!
The Senate Committee needs to hear a range of views. We will be providing scientific evidence, but they also need to hear personal stories. Your submission doesn’t have to be long and detailed – it is simply about people being willing to speak on behalf of children and young people.
Here are some suggestions of what to include in your submission:
requiring internet service providers to provide a default option of pre-filtered service to block pornography and other sites harmful for children, and
requiring provable age verification for all pornography websites.
Thank you for helping protect our children’s innocence.